I thought I would go a little off topic and discuss my new favorite obession…Korean dramas!!!! All the thanks in the world to Netflix for having so many options for me to binge!
It all started with…
This show was EVERYTHING. Once I fell in love with this show I have been adding so many kdramas to my list on Netflix it isn’t even funny. What I love most is that these shows are 1 season long…it’s a long season, about 16 episodes on average and the episodes are typically about 1 hour, 20 minutes long. Here’s the best part…there’s no cliffhanger at the end of the season, you get closure. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!
So I’ll take suggestions on any good kdramas out there on Netflix. I’ve been binging Something In The Rain and Hi Bye, Mama! I mean, it’s kind of like reading a book because I am reading subtitles, haha.
What are some recent obsessions/fun things you’ve been doing lately aside from reading??
I logged in to my Netgalley account and was shocked to see I had a new badge…
WHAT?!?! I learned that you get this badge when 3 or more publishers have used your review on the title page of the book!! How exciting!!
My reviews made it on the title pages of I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll, Things You Save In A Fire by Katherine Center, Slay Bells by T.C. Wescott, and Transgressive by Rachel Anne Williams. The links are to my blog posts which show the reviews. I am honored that these publishers enjoyed my honest reviews!
In case you aren’t familiar with Netgalley, it is a website dedicated to gathering honest reviews of advanced reader copy books. It is all digital so you only get a copy of the book electronically to read on your Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc. The site is addicting and can get you in trouble…like myself who is so far down the rabbit hole of books, haha. I am still at a 62% feedback ratio, I will hit that 80% this year!! 2020 is my year to reach 80%!
Do you use Netgalley? Do you enjoy it as much as I do?? (P.S. I’m taking the Kansas City Chiefs with the under for today’s big game! )
This article talks all about a potential new law that Missouri has on the table…the Parental Oversight of Public Libraries Act or House Bill 2044. What this law wants to do is to allow towns to establish a parental advisory board. The board would consist of 5 community members, voted in, and librarians would not be allowed on the committee, even if they are community members themselves.
They would look at books and determine if they had age-inappropriate sexual content and then if the board decided yes, would ban them from their public library. My opinion? What a scary, slippery slope…
I get it, there are topics out there that are controversial and not everyone wants to read about…so…don’t. If a book doesn’t interest you, don’t read it. It’s that simple. Just because I do not want to read a book that has certain content doesn’t mean that you don’t want to…and personally it’s your right to be able to read the book. The public library is a place for EVERYONE. Just because someone doesn’t want to read a book, does not mean that someone else in the community might not want to. That’s what makes the world go round.
If parents are that worried on content their children might read, it’s simple. Go with them to the library and simply review the book the wish to check out. Ask the librarian about the content within the book if you aren’t 100% sure. I just feel like this law could open up the door for other book banning ways…if librarians go against this law they could face up to a a year in jail. If a library also allows a minor to access a book with “age-inappropriate” sexual content, they could be stripped of their funding. Again, review what your children want to check out, it is as simple as that.
Book bans are something I have never understood as the solution to the problem is simple…don’t read the book, don’t buy the book, don’t buy any works by the author you don’t agree with…done.
What are your thoughts about this potential new law????
I discovered this meme thanks to Jill’s Book Blog. This meme is all about what book you are reading today!! So let’s all talk about what book we currently have in our hands! This meme is hosted by Midnight Book Girl.
Seventeen-year-old Veronica Clarke never thought she would wish she’d failed a test until she finds herself holding a thick piece of plastic in her hands and staring at two solid pink lines. Even the most consistent use of condoms won’t prevent pregnancy when your boyfriend secretly pokes holes in them to keep you from going out-of-state for college.
Veronica needs an abortion, but the closest place she can legally get one is over nine hundred miles away—and Veronica doesn’t have a car. Too ashamed to ask her friends or family for help, Veronica turns to the one person she believes won’t judge her: Bailey Butler, Jefferson High’s own little black cloud of anger and snark—and Veronica’s ex-best friend. Once on the road, Veronica quickly remembers nothing with Bailey is ever simple and that means two days of stolen cars, shotguns, crazed ex-boyfriends, truck stop strippers with pro-life agendas, and a limo driver named Bob. But the pain and betrayal of their broken friendship can’t be outrun. When their fighting leads to a brutal moment of truth, Bailey abandons Veronica. Now Veronica must risk everything in order to repair the hurt she’s caused.
What are you reading today?
Let me start by saying my normal mantra when it comes to DNFing a book is I simply don’t do it…if I want to read a book I will muster through it. There have been times when suddenly I find myself loving and enjoying the book! But guess what happened recently…
So, I have seen some reviews for The Doll Factory and loved the cover so I requested it from my local library.
After the first chapter I looked at myself and thought…WTF?!?! Then I read a blurb…guys, this book is not a book I would ever pick out to read. I’m not the biggest fan of historical fiction and this book just didn’t jive with me.
I kept reading…maybe I could get in to it. I got to page 30, closed the book, and returned it. Something I RARELY do. Me. DNF. That just never happens!! I look at it this way though…I have so many other books to read currently in my possession, why waste my time. Plus it’s a fairly popular book so why hold up traffic with it at my library. I will admit…it feels freeing! I understand why a lot of you don’t hold on so hard like I do!
How do you feel about DNFing a book? What was the last book you DNF??
Thank you to The Literary Elephant for tagging me for the Liebster Award!! I always find posts like this fun and lets us get to know each other better!!
“The Liebster Award is an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The award is a way to be discovered but also to connect and support the blogging community. A great idea in promoting your own blog and others. Originally it was given out to blogs with less than 2000 readers but this has slowly lowed as the reward has gained popularity. It is now only 200 readers or less. It’s really an arbitrary number. If you like helping other blogs out go ahead and do it regardless of its size. If you are returning, the submission for the award can be found here. ”
- Say thank you to the person who has nominated you for the Award.
- Answer the 11 questions the person has asked you
- Nominate 11 people
- Ask the people who you have nominated 11 questions
My Answers To Emily’s (The Literary Elephant) Questions
- What’s a book you LOVED but have never reread? Are you sitting down for this? I have never reread a book. What I love most about reading is the surprise that comes with the end of the book…I hate rewatching movies too (except a select few). My mantra is if I know what happens, what’s the point in it?
- Is there a genre (or subgenre) you tried recently and realized you’ve been missing out on and/or should read more often? I recently just read a fantasy young adult book (review coming Tuesday) and it is a genre I’ve never read before, but I LOVED it!!! I really got in to the story! I’ve always stayed away from fantasy but after this book, I’ll be checking out more books from this genre!
- How often do you visit your local library? Weekly. I have been having my kids read semi-nightly and they enjoy it as long as they have a fresh stack of books to choose from. I’ve really been into my library’s ebooks too so if you count that, more than once a week!
- What are your most and least favorite things (one each) about where you live? I’m in a tourist town! I love it because everyone wants to visit and you can always find something fun to do. I hate it because all the good stuff is overpriced and in the high tourist areas that no local wants to venture too, haha. At least unlike other tourist towns I can go about my regular day and not be affected by tourists…another plus!!
- Is there a book you want to read eventually, just to say you’ve read it? War and Peace…I feel like I would be bored out of my mind, but I could say I read it!!
- What’s the best weather for an afternoon of reading? I love reading outside so a cloudy/partly cloudy day in the low 80s-mid 70s.
- What book are you most anticipating with a far out publication date (or no date announced yet)? What Happens In Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand…ok, so the release date is close by…October, but I have been waiting a YEAR for this. I am also waiting for the third book in this series to be released, hopefully, in fall of 2020. I should never have read that first book in the series so soon after its release hahahaha.
- Buddy reads or readathons, and why? I love reading books with friends because then I have someone to talk about the book with!! That makes it so much more fun!
- If you had to write/blog under a pseudonym, what would you pick? Interesting question!! I’m stumped! I would probably use my initials and come up with a snazzy last name, but then I’d feel like I was too much like D.M. Pulley (my initials are D.M. haha). Maybe I’d go with Renee, the name I picked for myself in French class!
- Would you feel satisfied or disappointed to actually reach the end of your TBR? Heaven’s gates would open and the angels would sing!!!!
- Pet pictures! Or a picture of your favorite real-life creature from anywhere in the world.My Charlie. We’ve had him for 13 years now, rescued from the pound. He’s our grumpy old man. I don’t have a picture sans children with our other dog, he’s too wild for a still solo shot, haha. So this is what you’ll get!
- Sam @ Literary Critique
- Darinda @ Nightcap Books
- Kris @ The Book Nook
- Melanie @ Melanie’s Reads
- Denise @ bookworm at the gym
(If you’ve already done this award tag or don’t like the questions, no pressure! On the other hand, if you’re not tagged but do like the questions, feel free to participate! Be sure to link back so I can see your answers! 🙂 I picked the blogs I follow that I love that have the fewest number of followers, so if you don’t see yourself listed, don’t fret, it just means you have quite a few followers already, I want to spread the word about these 5 that deserve just as many follows!!!!)
My Questions to you:
- What’s a book you own that you will never lend out/get rid of?
- What is your earliest memory you have that revolves around reading?
- Where is your favorite place you’ve vacationed? Show us a picture!
- Reading challenges: yay or nay.
- If you could meet any author who would it be and why?
- What is your favorite way/place to read?
- How did you pick your blog’s name?
- What is your guiltiest pleasure?
- If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?
- If you could travel and visit the setting of any book, which book would you choose and why?
- Share a recipe! What is one of your favorite meals to cook?
That wraps up my Liebster Award. I hope some of you will participate and I hope you like the questions I asked! Feel free to even answer these if you’re reading in the comments too, I love to know more about you all! HAPPY SUNDAY!
I discovered this meme on Jill’s Book Blog. This meme is hosted by Midnight Book Girl. It’s simple…today we discuss what book I’m reading!
I borrowed this from my local library and so far, it’s captivated me. Everyone seems a little shady and guilty about the explosion, I’m trying to use my sense to figure it out…I hope to finish this one ASAP!!! Have you read this one? What are you reading today?