I discovered this meme thanks to Jill’s Book Blog. This meme is all about what book you are reading today!! So let’s all talk about what book we currently have in our hands! This meme is hosted by Midnight Book Girl.
Seventeen-year-old Veronica Clarke never thought she would wish she’d failed a test until she finds herself holding a thick piece of plastic in her hands and staring at two solid pink lines. Even the most consistent use of condoms won’t prevent pregnancy when your boyfriend secretly pokes holes in them to keep you from going out-of-state for college.
Veronica needs an abortion, but the closest place she can legally get one is over nine hundred miles away—and Veronica doesn’t have a car. Too ashamed to ask her friends or family for help, Veronica turns to the one person she believes won’t judge her: Bailey Butler, Jefferson High’s own little black cloud of anger and snark—and Veronica’s ex-best friend. Once on the road, Veronica quickly remembers nothing with Bailey is ever simple and that means two days of stolen cars, shotguns, crazed ex-boyfriends, truck stop strippers with pro-life agendas, and a limo driver named Bob. But the pain and betrayal of their broken friendship can’t be outrun. When their fighting leads to a brutal moment of truth, Bailey abandons Veronica. Now Veronica must risk everything in order to repair the hurt she’s caused.
What are you reading today?
Let me start by saying my normal mantra when it comes to DNFing a book is I simply don’t do it…if I want to read a book I will muster through it. There have been times when suddenly I find myself loving and enjoying the book! But guess what happened recently…
So, I have seen some reviews for The Doll Factory and loved the cover so I requested it from my local library.
After the first chapter I looked at myself and thought…WTF?!?! Then I read a blurb…guys, this book is not a book I would ever pick out to read. I’m not the biggest fan of historical fiction and this book just didn’t jive with me.
I kept reading…maybe I could get in to it. I got to page 30, closed the book, and returned it. Something I RARELY do. Me. DNF. That just never happens!! I look at it this way though…I have so many other books to read currently in my possession, why waste my time. Plus it’s a fairly popular book so why hold up traffic with it at my library. I will admit…it feels freeing! I understand why a lot of you don’t hold on so hard like I do!
How do you feel about DNFing a book? What was the last book you DNF??
Thank you to The Literary Elephant for tagging me for the Liebster Award!! I always find posts like this fun and lets us get to know each other better!!
“The Liebster Award is an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The award is a way to be discovered but also to connect and support the blogging community. A great idea in promoting your own blog and others. Originally it was given out to blogs with less than 2000 readers but this has slowly lowed as the reward has gained popularity. It is now only 200 readers or less. It’s really an arbitrary number. If you like helping other blogs out go ahead and do it regardless of its size. If you are returning, the submission for the award can be found here. ”
- Say thank you to the person who has nominated you for the Award.
- Answer the 11 questions the person has asked you
- Nominate 11 people
- Ask the people who you have nominated 11 questions
My Answers To Emily’s (The Literary Elephant) Questions
- What’s a book you LOVED but have never reread? Are you sitting down for this? I have never reread a book. What I love most about reading is the surprise that comes with the end of the book…I hate rewatching movies too (except a select few). My mantra is if I know what happens, what’s the point in it?
- Is there a genre (or subgenre) you tried recently and realized you’ve been missing out on and/or should read more often? I recently just read a fantasy young adult book (review coming Tuesday) and it is a genre I’ve never read before, but I LOVED it!!! I really got in to the story! I’ve always stayed away from fantasy but after this book, I’ll be checking out more books from this genre!
- How often do you visit your local library? Weekly. I have been having my kids read semi-nightly and they enjoy it as long as they have a fresh stack of books to choose from. I’ve really been into my library’s ebooks too so if you count that, more than once a week!
- What are your most and least favorite things (one each) about where you live? I’m in a tourist town! I love it because everyone wants to visit and you can always find something fun to do. I hate it because all the good stuff is overpriced and in the high tourist areas that no local wants to venture too, haha. At least unlike other tourist towns I can go about my regular day and not be affected by tourists…another plus!!
- Is there a book you want to read eventually, just to say you’ve read it? War and Peace…I feel like I would be bored out of my mind, but I could say I read it!!
- What’s the best weather for an afternoon of reading? I love reading outside so a cloudy/partly cloudy day in the low 80s-mid 70s.
- What book are you most anticipating with a far out publication date (or no date announced yet)? What Happens In Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand…ok, so the release date is close by…October, but I have been waiting a YEAR for this. I am also waiting for the third book in this series to be released, hopefully, in fall of 2020. I should never have read that first book in the series so soon after its release hahahaha.
- Buddy reads or readathons, and why? I love reading books with friends because then I have someone to talk about the book with!! That makes it so much more fun!
- If you had to write/blog under a pseudonym, what would you pick? Interesting question!! I’m stumped! I would probably use my initials and come up with a snazzy last name, but then I’d feel like I was too much like D.M. Pulley (my initials are D.M. haha). Maybe I’d go with Renee, the name I picked for myself in French class!
- Would you feel satisfied or disappointed to actually reach the end of your TBR? Heaven’s gates would open and the angels would sing!!!!
- Pet pictures! Or a picture of your favorite real-life creature from anywhere in the world.My Charlie. We’ve had him for 13 years now, rescued from the pound. He’s our grumpy old man. I don’t have a picture sans children with our other dog, he’s too wild for a still solo shot, haha. So this is what you’ll get!
- Sam @ Literary Critique
- Darinda @ Nightcap Books
- Kris @ The Book Nook
- Melanie @ Melanie’s Reads
- Denise @ bookworm at the gym
(If you’ve already done this award tag or don’t like the questions, no pressure! On the other hand, if you’re not tagged but do like the questions, feel free to participate! Be sure to link back so I can see your answers! 🙂 I picked the blogs I follow that I love that have the fewest number of followers, so if you don’t see yourself listed, don’t fret, it just means you have quite a few followers already, I want to spread the word about these 5 that deserve just as many follows!!!!)
My Questions to you:
- What’s a book you own that you will never lend out/get rid of?
- What is your earliest memory you have that revolves around reading?
- Where is your favorite place you’ve vacationed? Show us a picture!
- Reading challenges: yay or nay.
- If you could meet any author who would it be and why?
- What is your favorite way/place to read?
- How did you pick your blog’s name?
- What is your guiltiest pleasure?
- If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?
- If you could travel and visit the setting of any book, which book would you choose and why?
- Share a recipe! What is one of your favorite meals to cook?
That wraps up my Liebster Award. I hope some of you will participate and I hope you like the questions I asked! Feel free to even answer these if you’re reading in the comments too, I love to know more about you all! HAPPY SUNDAY!
I discovered this meme on Jill’s Book Blog. This meme is hosted by Midnight Book Girl. It’s simple…today we discuss what book I’m reading!
I borrowed this from my local library and so far, it’s captivated me. Everyone seems a little shady and guilty about the explosion, I’m trying to use my sense to figure it out…I hope to finish this one ASAP!!! Have you read this one? What are you reading today?
Oops I did it again…a whole slew of books came in at my local library. I guess I better get to reading…
Are any of these on your list to read? Have you read any? I have started with Please Send Help… because I am the FIRST reader for this one!! I requested my library carry it after I read the first book in the series…I love Ava and Gen! What should I read next???
I have debated about doing a post on Swagbucks and decided to just bite the bullet and go for it. Before you read on just know I am not selling you anything, but if you do sign through my link I get some bonus points on my account once you start earning yourself. Swagbucks is something I personally do in my spare time and have earned over $900 doing (over the course of years, don’t think I did that overnight, I signed up back in 2016 and have been doing it off and on when I get spare time). I usually average $15-$20 a month when I put some effort in.
Swagbucks is a website where you can earn cash back from shopping (I just earned $8 cash back from my Old Navy back to school shopping, that’s $8 back just from clicking on the link to Old Navy from their website, so it’s kind like Ibotta too…in fact, I usually go between Swagbucks and Ibotta to see who has the higher cash back before I do any on-line shopping…if I’m spending the money anyway I might as well get something back for it). You can also participate in surveys, watch videos, do their live trivia game, and do some deals to earn points. Once you earn points you can cash them in for gift cards.
I usually cash out to PayPal and treat myself to something. This is how I usually support my new Scensty obsession. From time to time I will cash out for an Amazon gift card and keep it in my account for when I see a great deal…this also supports my, “this book is only 99 cents I have to have it even though I’ll probably never read it, but it’s only a dollar I must get it” habit I have. Aaaaand that’s why I never feel guilty about buying the books because hey, it was free money, haha.
I am in a few Facebook groups where they post deals and tips and tricks to get the most out of using Swagbucks, they are really helpful. If you’re interested sign up and then either contact me or shoot me a message and I can hook you up to the groups…they can better walk you through anything more than I can.
If you’ve made it this far, thank you for reading through. I always feel like I’m promoting a sketchy gimmick, but I love to share this site with others. Some of my friends do it and I have one that has made over $1500 over her lifetime. You can put a lot of work into it and you can put a little in. Most of my earnings lately have been slow (VERY slow) and have only come with my on-line back to school shopping, but that’s money in my pocket that wouldn’t have been there in the first place. If you click on any link in the post it will take you to my referral link for sign up and like I said, I’ll get pennies for it, but it’s more to maybe help someone else out with a book obsession and can offset a little bit of cost every now and then. Barnes and Noble and Books A Million offer cash back through Swagbucks!! Happy Swagging!!! If you’re a fellow swaggernaut, how do you enjoy Swagbucks??
Click here to sign up for Swagbucks!
I want to thank Denise of Bookworm At The Gym for letting me in on this little hidden secret! I never knew you could share your Kindle books with others until she let me know!! HOW EXCITING!!!!!!! It’s sooooo easy too!
Once you go to the website above and log in it will take you to all of the devices you have linked to your Amazon account and your content. To look at the ebooks you have select CONTENT next to Manage Your Content and Devices at the top of the screen. Select the book you want by clicking on the 3 dot icon next to the title. Once you’ve selected the ebook, select “Loan this title.” **Not EVERY book will have this option!!**
After you select “Loan this title” it will take you to a screen where you enter in their email address and you can even add a message. The user does NOT need a Kindle device to read the book you send! They get the loan for 14 days and it gets automatically returned to you! While it is out on loan you will not have access to read it yourself so plan accordingly!
How neat is this?!?! I can’t believe I never knew this! I am working on a 6 part series with Amazon and the Kindle and all sorts of things you can do with it that many people have no idea about, I plan on starting it in 2 weeks and it will run weekly on Sundays. Come back and check it out as I go over everything I know with the Kindle and Amazon. If you have some tips and tricks with the Kindle, PLEASE, let me know!!!!